With a baby on the way, the wife and I have just had our flat re-decorated. As a result we have a bunch of empty paint cans knocking around the garden looking for a way to make themselves useful. At no stage have I thought to myself that they would make great vessels for wine. […]
Archive | Just Plain Weird RSS feed for this section
Impending fatherhood has got me thinking about the relationship that my offspring will have with alcohol. I’m thinking “What age should he take his first sip of Ridge Lytton Springs?”. This picture is reassuring. CAPTION IT!!!
News in from my home county. The BBC reports that Dorset licensing chiefs have pulled the rug from under a round-the-clock alcohol delivery service over fears about potential disorder. The budding businessmen behind the idea are a couple of likely lads named Jacob Scott and Chris Davis. Trading under the company name “After Hours” the […]
Harry Potter is about to return to the big screen again, and it’s fair to assume that we’ll get another two hours of tedium until we get to the good bit at the end where Dumbledor is killed by Snape. (SPOILER ALERT!! I’ve just spoiled it!) Anyway, I knew there had to be a wine […]
I’m sure we’ve all stared at the bottom of a Tequila bottle and thought “Why is there a worm in there?”. But that’s nothing compared to what United States Customs officers found when conducting a routine inspection recently. Yes, your eyes do not decieve you – this here is “snake wine”. No, it’s not a […]
I never know whether stories of celebrities filling bathtubs full of Champagne are apocryphal but, these Wine soaps from Australia are about as close as I’m going to get to a vinous cleansing experience Made using wine lees, a natural by-product of the wine making process, the makers give you all the usual PR about […]
Trendhunter magazine recently showcased 20 conepts based on innovative uses of cork. You can see the full slideshow here, but the clear winner for outright oddity is the Corkxedo. Designed by LA designer Dave Hamilton the outfit took 10 months to put together. Apparently there are more than 240 wineries represented with the oldest wine […]
Forget about the luxury of the Hotel Du Vin, the oenophile travellers place of rest is clearly this Dutch eccentricity. The Hotel de Vrouwe van Stavoren allows you to lay down your head in a choice of four gigantic 14,500 litre wine casks. A recent post at Green Upgrader carried the following description: The rooms offer two single […]
This posted by David Stoesz at Seattle Weekly. It has an American Slant of course (what is Trader Joes?!) but as Wall-Mart owns ASDA in the UK I’d like some suggestions with a specific UK slant. Chateau Hood de la Chav anyone? Tim Dempsey, a friend who’s on a budget but without access to Trader Joe’s, […]
- Tesco wine chief hoists himself by his own petard. Ouch. May 25, 2011
- Which Wine Would Feature in The Movie of Your Life? February 4, 2009
- Caption This Photo: I’m only drinking with you because… June 18, 2010
- Concha Y Toro Killed My MacBook Pro July 30, 2009
- Caption This Photo! May 27, 2009
- Paul Smith designs a Claret less Ordinary February 13, 2016
- Romantic Personalised Wine? Nah, Just Veuve Clicquot February 13, 2016
- Tesco launches alcohol free wine without a hint of irony February 11, 2016
- Warning: Unmanned drones are targeting your wine December 11, 2012
- The Truth behind the Robert Parker Wine Advocate deal December 10, 2012
- russell: its cheap and your worth it...
- Gavino: Fair enough Alex - although, as you can tell from ...
- alex: Gavin Williams Profile: "As an independent consul...
- Anders: Dan Jago is a wine man. Rowan Gormley is a markete...
- Jane: Okay folks - controversy time. The supermarkets do...